Friday, September 26, 2014

Tusk (2014)

Running Time: 102 minutes
Release Date: Sept. 6, 2014 (TIFF) & Sept. 19, 2014 (US theatrical release)
 Review by: Stacey



Let me start this review off by saying that I've never loved or hated Kevin Smith and his numerous film projects (with the exception of Clerks and Clerks 2).  I barely watched Red State last month, which I had heard was his contribution to the horror genre when it fact it was not horror at all, a lot of people hated it and it wasn't that good.  Except for Michael Parks.  So, when I heard that Smith would be making a film based off a weed-riddled conversation they had on one of his many podcasts revolving around a man being turned into a walrus and starring Michael Parks, I was like "FUCK YEAH."

What we got was an eye-opening look into WTFworld.  


In the first of his "True North" trilogy, Tusk follows narcissistic douchelord, Wallace Bryton (Justin Long), who runs a podcast alongside his best friend, Teddy (played by Haley Joel Osment, whose face did not grow with the rest of his head, it seems).  One of the segments of their show, "The Not-See Party", revolves around Wallace traveling all over to meet weirdos of the world and comes back to make fun of them with Teddy on their show.  This time around, though, the kid Wallace flew to Canada to meet unfortunately killed himself before they could talk to each other.  Unsure of what to do while stuck in a bar in the weird ass great white North, he sees an ad from an interesting old man promising to regale anyone who answers it with tales from his time at sea unlike anything they've ever heard.  Of course, he ends up at the home of eccentric but creepishly quiet Howard Howe (Michael Parks), who has a deep affinity for a walrus he once was stranded at sea with.  It seems Howard has more sinister plans for Wallace (sounds like "walrus" to me!) then just talking his ear off...
 

 There were equal parts comedy (the kind that you would only get from Kevin Smith) and body horror.  While watching, I caught myself laughing a lot during the disturbing parts and not because they were funny.  But mostly because my brain couldn't comprehend what I was watching.  Let's call it a WTF-laugh.  I think that's pretty much what Smith wanted to achieve with Tusk.  I mean, he couldn't have wanted this to be a serious horror film, right?  I hope not.



 Aside from the comedy and the great dialogue we've grown to know and love from other film works of Smith's, the actors did a great job with their characters and the sometimes challenging roles he gave them.  I haven't seen Long in something this dark since Jeepers Creepers and in the more horrific scenes he's great at making you forget his comedic side.  And my favorite, Michael Parks, who really committed to playing a fucking lunatic aced this one.  He was the only thing I loved about Red State (John Goodman doesn't count because everyone knows I love him in everything ever).  I'm gonna need this dude in more movies, please, because the slow but sure reveal to just how insane his character was was remarkable.  Michael Parks did something amazing with the role he was given.  There is another character that should be mentioned, but if you haven't seen it yet, I'll let you witness the glory that is he on your own.


Now for the more "grotesque" aspect of the film.  The rubber-based flesh walrus suit (made by Robert Kurtzman) that was used was badass.  It was a fine mix of kind of gross and kind of awesome.  It didn't look like they intended to make it look as "real" as possible but as shocking as possible, and they achieved that.  It was great to see an almost throwback to the old body horror films and the practical makeup effects that were used.  I don't know what I was expecting when the full reveal finally happened, but I do know that I underestimated just how disturbing it actually was.  I felt a little uncomfortable and distressed to be honest.  I loved it.


The film has already had a lot of hit and misses from viewers.  I get why it's not for everyone, but where you have to respect it is that it's ORIGINAL.  Smith has openly stated that it's a fucking ridiculous storyline but that if he didn't make it, no one else would and it's something that he would want to see.  I completely agree.  Smith has given us something amazingly fucked up.  Tusk is completely aware of just what kind of movie it is and it holds onto it real damn tight.
 
In a nutshell: Go see the damn movie!

4/5 walrus dicks

 Tusk trailer:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment