Monday, April 25, 2016

13 Cameras (2016)

Running Time: 1hr 27min
Release Date: April 15, 2016
Review by: Stacey



I swear, I watch so many damn creepy movies that they have given me more phobias than I already had before.  One of them being the idea that someone could place hidden cameras in my home and spy on me (and ultimately murder me, because that's what always happens in these damn movies).  As you might remember, Hangman revolved around an intruder who set up hidden cameras in a family's home and watched their every move.  While terrible, the hidden camera theme fucked me up.  Well, I must be a glutton for punishment because 13 Cameras (original title Slumlord) is the same goddamn thing but with an antagonist who is twenty shades creepier.


 
Victor Zarcoff's only writing/directing credit so far, 13 Cameras follows married couple, Claire (Brianne Moncrief) and Ryan (PJ McCabe), who have just moved into their new home.  Even though they're expecting their first child together, the couple are having major marital issues which they'll soon realize are no match for their unstable landlord (Neville Archambault) who has been spying on them with hidden cameras since the day they moved in.

It's a pretty formulaic plot that we've seen more than a couple of times before.  I think what sets this movie apart from something like Hangman, though, is that this story seemed to put the married couple's issues first which are then compounded by the fact that their landlord is spying on them.   The drama sustained your interest enough that the voyeuristic aspect could take a back seat until it was nice and ready.  Admittedly, some people might not like this if they're looking for some straight creepy, pervy shit.  This isn't that movie.

 

 Speaking of creepy pervs, Archambault as Gerald, the landlord, was a perfect casting decision.  His acting was spot on for that role.  His dialogue was limited to several words here and there in his deep, gruff voice; mouth always open as he's secretly watching the camera feeds of Claire and Ryan.  Not to mention he's super jacked which makes him that much scarier.  Moncrief and McCabe as the married couple were believable enough and director Zarcoff made damn sure you REALLY dislike the husband.
 
 
 
If I remember correctly, there's very little gore/blood (except for one quick scene) and the pacing is pretty slow for the most part, which will undoubtedly turn a lot of people off.  There's a lot of idiot decisions made throughout, which could be another negative to point out.  But I think most of all, people might not enjoy 13 Cameras for not really bringing anything new to the table.  Unfortunately, I don't see this one getting a lot of (good) press.

That said, personally I enjoyed it.  I liked that it was a drama for the most part with the horror/thriller aspect being the supporting theme which ultimately rounded out the story.  The characters were enjoyable and the story was well-written, which is basically all I want from a movie that I know isn't going to re-invent anything.  13 Cameras is definitely worth a watch if nothing more than as a time waster.

3/5 mouthbreathing voyeurs
  

Available on VOD now!
Check out the trailer below:
 

1 comment:

  1. Fuck that faggot ass pos fucking movie who ever made it please kill yourself

    ReplyDelete