Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Don't Knock Twice (2017)

Running Time: 1hr 33min
Release Date: Feb 3, 2017
Written by: Mark Huckerby, Nick Ostler
Directed by: Caradog W. James

Review by: Stacey



Usually I save this bit towards the end of my reviews, but I have to say right off the bat that this flick doesn't do much of anything original BUT it doesn't suck at what it does do.  And honestly, I don't mind if a movie has been "done before" as long as it's being done well.  Does that make sense?  In my head it does.  Don't Knock Twice kind of came out of nowhere and ended up surprising me.


While trying to reconnect with her daughter Chloe (Lucy Boynton, The Blackcoat's Daughter), American sculptor Jess (Katee Sackhoff, Oculus) finds herself caught in a supernatural fight for survival after Chloe unwittingly summons a demonic witch that was always just considered an urban legend.


Again, nothing we haven't seen before, but fortunately, for Caradog W. James's flick, we got a story with some seriously spooky effects and more-than-decent acting.  I really dug the score as well, from composers James Edward Barker and Steve Moore (The Mind's Eye, The Guest, and Cub).  It was almost reminiscent of something I'd hear from The Conjuring.

While there was the typical jump scare moment in the movie, they were paced well enough to not over do it.  And the demon witch, Ginger (played by none other than The Conjuring 2 and Mama's Javier Botet), put some serious fear into me during the more terrifying moments of the movie.  Of course this might not be the case for everyone who sees it, but a tall, lanky witch woman is always enough to frighten the hell out of me.  I made the mistake of watching it home alone the other night and kept having to peek over my shoulder (I'm also quite the wuss).


While I was never totally sold on the relationship between Chloe and Jess, the backstory of abandonment and drug addiction did give the unnatural-ness of their interactions with each other some weight.  Towards the final act, you do see a more motherly tone come out in Jess, despite the numerous shit decisions they made throughout.


Don't Knock Twice isn't without it's faults, of course.  It's not a perfect movie, nor is it a movie that I think many people will be talking much about.  However, I do think it's a horror movie that takes a plot that isn't totally unique but definitely well-written.  It's got some great atmosphere and the spooky effects should be enough for anyone to enjoy on a Friday night in.

3/5


On VOD now!
Check out the trailer below:

No comments:

Post a Comment