Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Raw (2017)

Running Time: 1hr 39min
Release Date: March 10, 2017
Written/Directed by: Julia Ducournau

Review by: Stacey



Wow, you guys.  Just WOW.

What a better way to celebrate International Women's Day than to bring you this review for the female written/directed French-Belgian film, Raw.  Julia Ducournau's feature film takes us along on a coming-of-age tale that combines a teen's budding sexuality and cannibalism in a weird and violent way.

After hearing buzz about the movie from several people who had screened it already, I knew (hoped) I wasn't going to be disappointed.


Having been a lifelong vegetarian, Justine (Garance Marillier) gets her first taste of raw meat during a hazing/initiation ritual during her first week of veterinary school.  Soon after she finds herself craving more than just animal meat.

I really don't think Raw is going to be for everyone.  Despite the premise, this one isn't what most would think it is; it's violent and gory, but it's also very heartfelt.  If you're looking for a movie with blood and guts but no substance, you might want to look elsewhere.


Like I said earlier, this is a coming-of-age tale that, not unlike Ginger Snaps, deals with the inevitable and most often not fun part of growing up for women.  Sure, most of us don't turn into werewolves or start craving human flesh, but there's definitely some relatability to be found in these types of films.

I really enjoyed the relationship between Justine and her older sister, Alexia (Ella Rumpf), even if it did feel a little weird at times.  Despite the numerous side characters, those two carried the film and did it well.  They never went over-the-top or forced any emotion which really helped the already bleak feeling of the movie.  As a whole, the movie never felt like it was doing too much or trying too hard, which I was surprised by considering how brutal it got at times.


Raw is one you would call a "slow burn", but personally I enjoy those more if the story is compelling enough, which is the case here.  That might be another thing that could put off some folks who are expecting a full-blown horror film.  If a little bit of heart and slow pacing isn't something you're into, you probably won't find fault with the violence and blood in the film.  I know there was word of people fainting and barfing at screenings, and while that seems like a bit much, I will say I immediately regretted eating before I saw the movie; specifically a scene with Justine barfing up a hairball....UGH.  I caught myself "WTF?!"ing a few times throughout, which isn't a bad sign!

The movie culminates in a really wonderfully simple yet unexpected scene that I audibly gasped at.  Another example of the filmmaker not going over-the-top or trying to hit you over the head by over-explaining.  She gave you what you needed to know and that was it; there was no ambiguous ending or complicated message to take from it.


Raw took two themes (coming-of-age & cannibalism) that aren't new by any means, and combined them to make a effectively solid film.  I don't think anyone should be sleeping on this film when it's released, and I definitely will be keeping my eye out for what Ducournau does next.

*Quick Note*
The score/soundtrack (by Jim Williams) to the film is FANTASTIC, especially the main title theme.  And better yet, Mondo and Death Waltz Records will be releasing it on vinyl this Friday!

5/5


Check out the trailer below!

2 comments:

  1. Loved it. I'm just wondering if veterinary school are fucked up like in the movie!

    ReplyDelete