Tuesday, May 24, 2016

#Horror (2015)

Running Time: 1hr 41min
Release Date: November 20, 2015
Review by: Stacey



I don't think I've been this irrationally annoyed by a movie in a while.  Maybe it's because it lacked a story with substance.  Maybe it was because it took too goddamn long before anything happened.  And maybe it's just because I'm an old fart who shouldn't enjoy a movie that is clearly geared towards 15 year olds who hashtag everything.


I'm still not entirely sure what the hell #Horror was about (god, I hate that title SO much)Basically a group of rich, snot-nosed tweens bully each other, in person and online, until people start dying???  I'm really not sure how else to describe it.  It's half trying to be "artsy"/half full of jarring, hashtagged words thrown on the screen with this weird ass brightly colored app the girls seem to be playing throughout (I'm trying so hard to give you a clear picture of this, but it's just not happening).  This movie is what the kids would call a "hot mess".


The teens that were cast were just bad.  I couldn't tell if they would normally be terrible actresses or if it was the writing, which made sure to make all of their characters as unlikable as possible.  I know children can be insufferable, especially 12 year olds, but these girls had not one redeeming quality about them.  There were a few familiar faces among the adults with Chloe Sevigny, Natasha Lyonne (who only showed up in the beginning for maybe 4 minutes), and Timothy Hutton but I can only assume it was because they were friends of first time writer/director, Tara Subkoff, or they wanted some extra cash.


I understand that Subkoff was probably trying to give us some social commentary on "kids these days" and bullying (which I do NOT condone), but it all came off a little too forced.  While I'm pretty positive #Horror wasn't supposed to be geared towards anyone over 15 years old, I'll be surprised if teens themselves come out of seeing this one with a positive experience.

If you want to watch a horror movie that effectively covers this type of subject matter while appealing to a larger age group, you'll probably be better off checking out 2015's Unfriended.

0/5 feels for #Horror
 


Out on VOD now
Check out the trailer below:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment